Dell Latitude 12 E7240 and Latitude 14 E7440 Released – Features Intel Haswell CPU
Dell recently announced its newest line of Ultrabooks, the Dell Latitude 7000 series. The new lineup includes Dell Latitude 12 E7240 featuring a 12.5-inch display, and the Dell Latitude 14 E7440, with 14 inch display. Both Ultrabooks will be powered by an Intel Core i3 Haswell processor and has SSD for its storage. Check out their features, specifications and price below.
Both the Dell Latitude 12 E7240 and Latitude 14 E7440 Ultrabooks have a slim, lightweight, and elite looking designs. They are geared towards business type of people who are always on the go. The Latitude 12 E7420 is only 20mm thin and weighs 2.9lbs, while the Latitude 14 E7440 is 21mm thin and weights 3.6lbs, making them easy to carry around. The E7240 and E7440 features a durable aluminum soft-touch finishes with power-coated base. While underneath is a Tri-metal chassis design for it to survive the challenging physical environments. Both Utrabooks have passed the MIL-STD-810G testing ensuring high quality standards.
You can wirelessly connect various devices like mouse, keyboard, monitor and other conference-room equipment on the Dell Latitude 12 E7240 and 14 E7440 via its WiGig docking technology. It also features Intel Wireless Display technology (WiDi) so that you can wirelessly connect to other WiDi-enabled projector or display.
The Dell Latitude 12 E7240 features a 12.5-inch display at 1366×768 resolution, with Anti-glare finish. I know there are a lot of use who just hate the 1366×768 display. But don’t worry because a Full HD 1920×1080 touch display option will become available soon. It has a built in webcam and microphone, as most laptops and ultrabooks nowadays do.
Meanwhile the Dell Latitude 13 E7440 features a 14-inch anti glare display, where you will have the option to choose from a 1366×768 HD display, 1920×1080 Full HD non touch display, or a 1920×1080 Full HD touch display (coming soon).
Underneath their hoods, the Dell Latitude 12 E7240 and Latitude 14 E7440 are powered by the latest 4th generation Intel Core i3 Haswell processor with Intel HD Graphics 4400. I’m not sure if a Core i5 or Core i7 option will be available soon, but for now Dell indicated in their specs sheet that both the E7240 and E7440 will have a Core i3 Haswell processor. The processor is paired with a 4GB DDR3L RAM at 1600MHz, and has a 128GB SSD for the E7240, and 320GB SATA hard drive for the E7440. Both will have Windows 8 Pro 64bit as operating system.
But what sets the Dell Latitude 14 E7440 and Latitude 12 E7240 apart from regular ultrabooks is their security features. Dell claims that their latest Latitude 7000 series is the most secure business Ultrabooks. It features industry-leading endpoint security solutions that include comprehensive encryption strong authentication and malware prevention. Security features includes the following:
- Protect data on any device across external media and in the cloud with Dell Data Protection | Encryption. Or choose Dell’s FIPS-certified self-encrypting drives, which can also be centrally managed using the Dell Data Protection console.
- Ensure only authorized users have access to your data with authentication options including FIPS 201-certified smart card and fingerprint readers and contact-less smart card reader.
- Dell Data Protection | Security Tools enables multifactor, single sign-on and preboot authentication along with integrated management with your encryption policies.
- A FIPS 140-2-certified TPM (Coming Soon) is available for secure credential storage, and Dell ControlVault adds another layer of hardware security by isolating user passwords and credentials on a separately controlled hardware chip.
- Stop advanced malware in its tracks with Dell Data Protection | Protected Workspace.
- Delete data remotely with Dell’s custom Intel vPro extension for remote hard drive wipe.
Dell Latitude 7000 Series Specifications
Processor: Intel Core i3-4010U Haswell, 1.70GHz
Operating System: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit, no media, English
Memory: Up to 4GB9 DDR3L at 1600Mhz – 1 DIMMS
Chipset: Integrated with the CPU (Lynx Point-LP)
Graphics Processor: Integrated Intel HD Graphics 4400
- 12.5” HD (1366×768) Anti-Glare LED-backlit
- 12.5” FHD (1920×1080) Touch (Coming Soon!)
- 14.0” HD (1366×768) Anti-Glare LED-backlit
- 14.0” FHD (1920×1080) Anti-Glare LED-backlit
- 14.0” FHD (1920×1080) Touch (Coming Soon!)
Hard Drive: Up to 128GB SSD, Up to 320GB SATA hard drive (E7440)
- 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet
- Wireless LAN and WiMAX Options:
Intel Centrino Advanced -N + WiMAX 7260
Dell Wireless 1601 (802.11n 2×2, + Bluetooth & WiGig) (Coming Soon!)
Dell Wireless 1506 (802.11g/n 1×1, no Bluetooth)
- Mobile Broadband & GPS Options:
Dell Wireless 5570 HSPA+ Mini Card (Coming Soon!)
Dell Wireless 5808 LTE Mobile Broadband (Coming Soon!)
- High Quality Speakers
- Stereo global headset jack
- Integrated, noise reducing array microphones
- Optional Integrated HD video webcam and Dell Webcam Central software
Ports, Slots and Chassis:
- Network connector (RJ-45)
- USB 3.0 (3)
- Stereo headphone/Microphone combo jack
- Docking Connector, mDisplayPort, HDMI
- 1 Full and 2 Half Mini Card Slots
- Optional SmartCard Reader/Contactless SmartCard Reader/Fingerprint Reader or FIPS Fingerprint Reader
Dimensions: 310.5mm x 211mm x 20mm
Weight: 1.36kg (with 3-cell battery)
Input: Single/Dual Pointing Keyboard: Standard or Backlit, Multi-touch Touchpad
- 65 Watt or 90W AC Adapter
- 65W BFR/PVC Free AC Adapter
- 90W Auto/Air DC adapter (optional)
- 3-cell (31Whr) Lithium Ion battery with ExpressCharge
- 4-cell (42Whr) Lithium Ion battery with ExpressCharge
Price and Where to Buy
The Dell Latitude 12 E7240 has a starting price of $1,670. But Dell is offering a $501 savings, making it $1169 only, if you purchase it on Dell’s store site. Meanwhile the Latitude 14 E7440 has a starting price of $1,498, and comes with a $449 off the price discount, making it $1,049 only if you purchase it from Dell. Estimated ship date for both Ultrabooks will be on August 30, 2013